Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Break 2010


This week was my spring break. I didn't do much except play basketball with the boys and started brainstorming for some music videos I'm going to shoot for some of my musically talented friends. I kept trying to find something cool to do, since I had so much free time on my hands. I decided it would be cool to start taking pictures. So, I picked up a cheap Diana MINI half-frame camera and started fooling around with it.
When my mom found out I was interested in photography, she handed me a 35 mm Canon AE-1 that used to be hers back in the '80s. This thing is a beast. I put the Diana away and started carrying the AE-1 around with me wherever I went. I'm pretty excited because I just finished a roll of film about 10 minutes ago, so I'm gonna head to the photo lab right after this to get it developed.
This photography thing is probably going to be a phase, but we will see.
My girlfriend went to Hawaii for spring break, so I didn't see her until Saturday. This was a new thing for me. I'm used to calling her up whenever I'm bored or don't have class, and since I was very bored this week and also didn't have class, I missed her. It was a weird feeling not having her for a week. I know that sounds pathetic, it's only a week, but it was still different.
I was so used to seeing her all the time, and when all the sudden I couldn't reach her, I realized how much I did miss her. In long-term relationships, I think people often take advantage of their significant other. It becomes a comfort zone, more than a relationship. After a long time, people throw the romance out the window.
Spending a week away from her made me appreciate having her, and so when she came back, it was extra nice seeing her.
Another thing that happened when she was gone, I gained independence. This is crucial in college. Maybe I was too dependent on her, but now, I realize that I have to be my own man, and she has to be her own woman. College is all about YOU, and that's why relationships often fail during college, because people get swept up in their own priorities.
In college relationships, people are scared about creating priorities, because they don't want them to get in the way of their girlfriend/boyfriend. But they end up sacrificing so much for their lover, that in the end, they are still not happy.
So maybe, before this freshman adjustment comes to an end, I will figure out how to balance a little better.

No comments: